REMITTANCES IN CRISIS: HOW TO KEEP THEM FLOWING
On the occasion of the International Day of Family Remittances, Switzerland and the United Kingdom in partnership with World Bank/KNOMAD, UNCDF, IOM, UNDP, the International Association of Money Transfer Networks, and the International Chamber of Commerce would like to invite you to a webinar to build on the recently launched Call to Action ‘Remittances in Crisis: How to Keep them Flowing.’
The webinar will serve as a platform to discuss how countries that have joined the Call to Action are affected by the disruption of remittances and how the implementation of the Call to Action’s recommendations can keep remittances flowing during the crisis and beyond.
Welcome and introductory remarks: Mr. Pietro Mona, Ambassador for Development, Forced Displacement and Migration, Switzerland
Setting the stage: Mr. Dilip Ratha, Lead Economist and Head of KNOMAD, World Bank
How are remittance flows in different regions affected by COVID-19 and what mitigation measures are most effective?
Chaired by Mr. Mahmoud Mohieldin, Special Envoy on Financing the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development
How are different countries affected? What measures are policymakers and regulators taking to keep remittances flowing?
- Egypt: Ambassador Amr El Sherbini, Deputy Assistant Minister of Foreign Affairs for Refugees, Migration and Combating Human Trafficking, Ministry of Foreign Affairs
- Mexico: Dr. Christopher Ballinas Valdés, Director General for Human Rights and Democracy, Ministry of Foreign Affairs
- Nigeria: Ms. Abike Dabiri-Erewa, Chairman / CEO of the Nigerians in Diaspora Commission
- Jordan: TBC
How is the remittances industry affected? How are remittance service providers ensuring the flow of remittances?
- Mr. Mohit Davar, Chairman, International Association of Money Transfer Networks
- Mr. Andrew Wilson, Permanent Observer for the International Chamber of Commerce to the United Nations
What support do international organisations offer to keep remittances flowing?
- Ms. Asako Okai, UN Assistant Secretary General and Director of the Crisis Bureau, UNDP
- Ms. Wen Li, Director, Department of International Cooperation and Partnerships, IOM
Closing remarks: Mr. James Duddridge, Minister for Africa, United Kingdom
To watch the live-streaming of the event, please click here.
For more information, please visit: https://www.knomad.org/covid-19-remittances-call-to-action/.